Special occasions are always memorable, and beautiful cake designs give any happy occasion a sweet essence! Birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, weddings, graduation ceremonies—you name it, and there’s a cake to suit every occasion. If you live in the United States, you will find many specialty cake shops and expert bakers who can carve out the most exquisite cake for you.The Internet is filled with forums and blogs that offer superb cake design ideas. However, not all cake designs are easy to implement via DIY techniques, and you may end up wasting tremendous effort and time in attempting to create cake designs that may not eventually work for you.This article describes trending cake designs that you can use to create your own special cake. It tells you the pros and cons of each design type, helping you select a cake design that will be practical enough for you to attempt successfully. Whether you’re a cake decorating novice or a seasoned baker, this article will help you create cake designs that will add a magical touch to any memorable occasion. Read on to more to find out the best cake designs, which you can personalize to create a special treat for your friends and family.
How We Reviewed Cake Designs
The cake designs reviewed below are based on popular cake decorating themes that can be made on various occasions. Included is a brief design outline for each theme, occasions it is best suitable for, and the pros and cons of each design. We have reviewed each cake design theme regarding the complexity of baking or decorating technique involved, ingredients used, taste and look of the finished product, and suitability for various occasions. We have researched top cake decorating resources to come up with a list of best cake designs that bakers of various skill levels can execute.
Cake Designs We Reviewed
Raspberry Pink Velvet Cake
Photo credited by: rankmylist.com
A raspberry pink velvet is made of a basic red velvet sponge cake and topped with a light-pink cream cheese frosting. You can use your creativity and use other edible toppings in shades of pink such as pink candy, fondant flowers, fresh strawberries and raspberries, and more. This raspberry pink velvet cake is perfect for occasions such as Valentine’s Day, bridal shower, baby shower, mother’s day, etc.
- Simple cake design
- Can be easily executed by novice bakers
- Saves time if you use a store bought or pre-packaged cake mix
- Suitable mostly for casual gatherings
- May appear too modest for a more formal occasion
- Suitable only for girl or women themed occasions
Robin’s Egg Coconut Cake
Photo credited by: countryliving.com
Robin’s egg coconut cake is a unique cake theme, which will impress your guests with its soft pastel hues and specially crafted toppings in the shape of a nest. The soft blue frosting makes this cake a special addition to Easter and spring gatherings, bridal showers, ring ceremonies, boy-themed baby showers, and more. The nest on this cake is simple to make, using phyllo dough sheets. The egg candies on the cake can be bought ready-made at stores in colors matching the shade of your frosting. You can customize the shade of the frosting to suit the occasion.
- Exquisite flavor
- Exotic ingredients make the cake taste distinctive
- Easy to make and decorate
- Toppings on the cake such as the phyllo nest look striking, yet is easy to put together
- Certain ingredients for the cake may be difficult to find
- Cake toppings may seem overwhelming to make for novice bakers
Animal Print Cake
Photo credited by: pinterest.ph
Among the several cake designs, animal print cake themes are always popular. Animal print cake designs consist of any cake flavor covered with fondant decorated with animal prints or animal figures. This cake theme is perfect for kids’ birthday parties and baby shower celebrations.Animal printed cakes are also great for a stylish wedding party or for a diva-like lady’s birthday celebration. You can use fondant cut-outs to create additional cake toppers such as cute animal shapes for kids’ cakes, or fashion accessories for a stylish lady’s birthday. You can also paint animal prints on a frosted cake using a thin brush and edible paint. It is easy to make your own edible paint by mixing vodka with food coloring of your choice.
- Highly customizable as per the occasion
- Can be made in a variety of different animal prints and colors
- Ideal for proficient cake decorators who have experience working with fondant
- Use of fondant gives this cake design an elegant finish
- Time-consuming to make animal patterns
- Not suitable for beginner-level cake decorators
- Not ideal for those who have not worked with fondant decorating
Basket Weave Cake
Photo credited by: tatyanaseverydayfood.com
Cake designs with intricate details are trending, with many people preferring them for special occasions. Basket weave cakes are perfect for Easter celebrations, bridal showers, spring or Easter brunches, and more. Basket weave cakes are usually decorated with white, beige, or brown buttercream frosting. You can, however, use your creativity and use pastel-hued frosting or metallic frosting for a more exquisite look. You require simple cake decorating accessories, including, a piping bag and basket weave decorating tip to create this exquisite cake design.
- Cake design looks very intricate with little effort
- Easy cake design for beginners to execute
- Easily available frosting ingredients
- Cake design mostly suitable only for tall cakes
- Slightly time-consuming to pipe the intricate design detail on a tall cake
Photo credited by: renshawbaking.com
A daisy cake looks extremely graceful with a soft muted frosting with a simple decoration of white fondant daisies. This classy cake can be made in any flavor of your choice, and the frosting can be customized to incorporate your favorite flavor notes. Daisy cake makes for a great centerpiece on occasions such as mother’s day, baptism ceremony, bridal shower, and more. The daisy flower details can be created with either fondant or using a simple piping technique. Though a daisy cake looks best when finished with white daisy flower details, you can use pretty colors or light pastels to create daisy flower decorations.
- Easy to make for novice bakers
- Fondant daisies are available ready-made for sale
- Ideal for those who don’t like to use or eat too much artificial food color
- Hand-made fondant daisies can be difficult to make for novice bakers
- Cake design may be too simplistic for elaborate occasions
LadyBug and Bumble Bee Cake
Photo credited by: brandeating.com
Lady bee and bumble cake design is a colorful theme which kids of all ages will love! Ladybug and bumble bee cakes can be made with or without fondant. If you want to make a bright-colored birthday cake for your little one, a ladybug or bumble cake theme will be easy to implement. Buttercream frosting will work perfectly to create a beautiful bumble or ladybug themed cake. For more intricate details such as cute ladybug or bumble bee shapes, consider using fondant.
- Easy to implement for moms and novice bakers
- Extremely popular cake theme with kids
- Can be made with or without the use of fondant
- Involves the use of a lot of artificial food coloring
- Requires fondant to create a smooth and elegant finish
Candied Pretzel Cake
Photo credited by: tarateaspoon.com
Candied pretzel cake is an extravagant cake design that involves the use of beautifully decorated pretzels that are arranged around the frosted cake to create a beautiful cake design. Cake designs that incorporate different sweet treats are loved by everyone since they add a unique dimension to the taste and texture of a cake.Candied pretzel cake is usually made in light pastels or ivory. This exquisite cake design is best served on grand occasions such as a wedding, ring ceremony, or a milestone birthday or anniversary. Certain cake designs require skill and effort to pull them off, and a candied pretzel cake is one among them.
- Looks extremely grand
- Crowd-pleasing taste and appeal
- Exclusive taste and texture
- Elaborate step-by-step procedure
- Tedious and time-consuming
- Requires to use many confectionaries
- Requires knowledge of advanced baking and frosting techniques
Spice Layer Cake
Photo credited by: pamelasproducts.com
Seasonal cake designs are always a hit at Fall parties and Holiday gatherings. The warm spices used in spice layer cake give it unique flavor. This cake design uses simple buttercream frosting and easily available toppings such as pretzels, packaged caramels, etc. to create elements that represent Fall.The best feature of this cake is that the toppings are super-easy to make. Caramel popcorn can be dipped in melted chocolate to create beautiful acorn decoration. Leaf-shaped cookie cutters can be used to create cute leaf decorations from pie dough sheets, which when baked till golden brown, will represent beautiful foliage.
- Simple cake design, ideal for home bakers and beginners
- Easily available ingredients
- Knowledge of advanced baking techniques not required
- Unique flavor to celebrate the change in season
- Simplistic design
- Not suitable for extravagant parties
Textured Stripes and Swirls
Photo credited by: custom.edithpatisserie.com
Textured stripes and swirls cake design has a rustic appeal to it and gives the impression of a uniquely hand-crafted cake. Easy to design using just butter-cream frosting, this cake design is best created in pastel hues or ombre shades.A tall cake made using stripes and swirls makes for a beautiful centerpiece for an intimate ring ceremony or wedding celebration. Hand-made fondant flowers in pretty colors will complete the classy look of a textured cake design.
- Requires very simple frosting technique to create the cake design
- Suitable for beginners and novice bakers
- Can be made in many flavors to suit your requirements
- Requires significant time and effort to complete the design
- Additional cake toppers such as fondant flowers or fondant accessories required to complete the look of the cake
Photo credited by: edgarsbakery.com
If you’re looking for stylish cake designs that you can easily re-create at home, a polka dotted cake design is ideal. You can create a beautiful polka dot cake using simple confectionary items such as mini chocolate chips or candy balls. You can also use meringue to create beautiful polka dot design on a frosted cake. There are special recipes that show how to make a polka dot cake interior so that when cut the cake, you will find a beautiful surprise inside.Simple flavors such as vanilla or lemon work great with a polka-dot cake, which can be frosted with cream cheese or buttercream. A polka-dot cake is suitable for bridal showers, mother’s day celebrations, and more.
- Simple and easy to design
- Requires little effort
- Elegant design
- Cake and frosting flavors highly customizable
- The cake needs to be layered to create a striking look
- Variety of flavors or fillings need to be incorporated to make the cake taste and look great
Cake Designs We Love
Photo credited by: bakingo.com
A cake adds the special touch to any occasion, and hence the cake design needs to look great. The cake design you choose to create will depend on your skill level as a baker or cake artist. If you’re a beginner that wants to learn the nuances of cake decorating, go with simple cake designs for your first few projects. Once you master the basics and finer nuances of cake decorating, you can move on to create other variations of cakes such as cupcakes, cake pops, and more.The pink raspberry velvet cake, daisy cake, spice layer cake, etc. are best for novice cake decorating artists. The basket-weave cake, textured stripes, and swirls cake, and the daisy cake are ideal for bakers who are at an intermediate to an advanced level of cake decorating. For expert cake decorating pros, the candied pretzel cake, robin’s egg coconut cake, and the ladybug and bumble bee cake with fondant decorations would enhance your skills.There are much online cake decorating resources that feature tips and recipes on how to create the most beautiful cake designs for your next big event! Cake decorating is a constantly evolving skill, with many new techniques being implemented. Consider watching tutorials that show advanced cake decorating skills such as working with fondant, airbrushing, painting, and more.